So this week Crazy4Challenges challenge is a different one, apparently its national Fried Chicken 🍗 day in the U.S (who new) so this weeks challenge is to create a card with a bird on it. Well, I have a chicken 🐓 and all his barnyard friends. This card was also made as a request, I had a family friend who asked if I could make a birthday card for her grandson, I believe her words were “Can you make a birthday card for my almost-three-year-old grandson, maybe a farm theme” What my crazy craft brain heard was “I need a farm card with every farm animal you have, make sure ist big, bright, multicoloured, with balloons, streamers and party hats……. oh and don’t forget the cupcakes.” My son actually told me I was insane 🤪hahaha
I made a Party Animal Card a while back that is a little smaller.
to see all the otherCrazy4Challenges fun chicken/bird cards check this out https://crazy4challenges.blogspot.com/
Click “Read More” to see more
So this card is a big one, the card base was cut out of Night of Navy cardstock, cut to 8″ x 10 1/2″ scored at 5 1/4″. I found a blue paper from my crazy stash that has a bit of a distressed look to it and I cut it to 7 1/2″ x 4 3/4″ and added it to the front. I had the idea to have all the animals that I was going to have on the inside, kind of like they are peek-a-booing out the front between the letters so I needed the letters to be big. The “Happy” is presaved design in my Scan N Cut and I cut it to 6 1/4″ wide and 2 3/4″ high and the “3rd Birthday” I also cut with my Scan N Cut, but I had to type them in, the 3 is about 1 1/2″ tall and the rest of the letters are just over an inch. I cut them out three times each out of Color Core Navy cardstock (in retrospect I should have cut 2 sets out of regular cardstock and only the top layer out of the Color Core but I kind of had a brain fart)
I layered all the three layers one on top of each other, and I roughed up the edges a bit, I didn’t want to rough it up too much as the core colour was close to the background colour and I still wanted the contrast.
The next thing I did was cut out and assemble all the animals, usually, I would cut them all out then assemble them all, but this time I did them one at a time, as I knew I was going to cut out itty bitty sections of each animal, but I was figuring it out as I went and I didn’t want to assemble entire animals just to cut out the little portions so I made an animal, figured out which letter and portion I was going to use then made just that small section, then moved on to the next animal. the colours for the animals are Whisper White, Going Gray, Basic Black, Crumb Cake, Chocolate Chip, Pink Pirouette, Tangerine Tango, Basic Gray, Very Vanilla, and I think that’s it. The goat I sponged with some Chocolate Chip ink, I sponged the Horse with Basic Gray ink, and I used an orange alcohol marker to accent the cat and a Gray alcohol marker to accent the sheep.
I trimmed the unneeded animal parts off and adhered the remaining parts to the letters and adhered them to the card front.
Now for the inside, so I want this card to really pop, so I used Karen Burnistons Explosion Pop-Pop card and her Lots of Pops die set (not current), this took a little playing around as I wanted everything to line up a certain way but I got it figured out.
I started by picking out a fun green patterned paper for the ground and I used the same blue as the front for the sky. When I was creating the explosion sides I wanted the top half to be blue and the bottom half to be green so I cut out 2 explosion sides from each colour, I cut the blue ones right in half and the green ones about 1/4″ above the halfway mark, I attached them together by adhering the blue one to the extra 1/4″ of the green one, then folded them as per Karen’s video and adhered them to the card.
A quick tip: Make sure you keep track of top and bottom and left and right, I almost assembled one backwards so it would have been upside down.
Next, I cut the pop-ups, I used the Lots of pops and the Pop-up that came with the Explosion set and cut it out of a 6″ x 4″ scored at 2″.
(side note the card stock is a little bigger in the photo, I had to trim a little off each edge to get it to fit, the finished width is 6″)
Then I adhered it to the card.
I cut out a blue panel and a green panel to 3 1/4″ x 7 3/4″ and adhered them in aswell
Now to add the animals, it took a bit as I wanted them lined up in a way so all their faces would be visible when looking at the card, I ended up not using the 2 little pop-ups on the sides of the Lots-a-pop, and I had to cut one leg off of the horse and both feet off of the lamb, but in the end they are noticeable.
So this is were the crazy really kicks in lol. I started cutting out the balloons and streamers from the Explosion set, banners from the lots of pops, and any accessories that I have that was party related most of them are from Karen’s older animal sets and prop sets. The gifts were cut out of with square punches and an old Creative Memory polka dot punch. They are cut out from the following colours Poppy Parade, Tangerine Tango, Crushed Curry, Shaded Spruce, Pacific Point, Gorgeous Grape, Early Espresso, Very Vanilla, and Silver.
I assemble whatever pieces needed assembling.
I added most but not all of the pieces that I cut out and I decked out my party crowd. The little circles that came out of the party hats I used as little cherries on top of the cupcakes.
I stamped an old Stampin Up stamp for the greeting, I used Garden Green ink and a Stitched square die to cut it out.
I cut out a second square for the signature.
to see some other fun animal card check this out
5 thoughts on “Party Animals 2.0- C4C491”