What’s black, and white and red all over……. 🤔 this fun Valentines Day card. It may be hard to see in the photo but the black and white sections of this card are not made with patterned paper 😮 I know, shocker right. I really like how the red pop against the black and white, but if I had to do this card over again I would use a wider red ribbon to add a little more pop.
Click “Read More” to See More
The supplies used for this card are all from Stampin’ Up. The colours of card stock used are Very Vanilla and Real Red.
Technique time, so to get the black patterns (the flourish and the stripes) I did what I call “Double Embossing”. To do the Flourish pattern, first I cut a piece of patterned paper that was a newsprint pattern, I used Versa Mark Ink and dabbed it straight on to the Flourished Embossing folder, I put the paper in the folder and ran it through my Big shot. As soon as I pulled it out I poured Black Embossing powder over the Versa Mark ink that was now on the patterned paper and heat set it.
The card base is a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock cut at 8″ x 5 1/4″ scored in half. To get the striped pattern I pretty much did the same as above except this time I was using the bottom 2/3rds of the front of the card. I dabbed the Versa Mark ink onto the striped embossing folder and very carefully making sure the stripes were straight and lined up evenly, I put the card front into the folder and ran it through my Big shot, again heat embossing with Black embossing powder.
Using three sizes of a nesting die set, I used the smaller die to cut out the Very Vanilla Cardstock piece and stamped the valentines greeting With Basic Black ink and sponged the black ink around the edges, the middle die I used to cut out the first embossed piece that I created, and the larger die I used to cut out the Real Red Piece of cardstock. Then I centered each one and adhered them one on top of each other.
I cut out a piece of Real Red cardstock to 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″ and adhered the card base to it. I wrapped a piece of Real Red Ribbon around the card front, then I adhered the layered piece over the ribbon onto the card front and Voila done.